Thursday, July 19, 2012

exploring astronomy: solar system race to the sun hopscotch review game

 

 

I snuck outside while they were watching tv and drew the solar system on our driveway.

 

1-IMG_1582

 

2-IMG_1583

 

She noticed that I’d excluded Pluto and was highly offended.  Oops.  Guess she’s decided not to subscribe to the Pluto isn’t a Planet team.

 

3-IMG_1584

 

I had a couple ideas for ways to use our chalk solar system. 

 

4-IMG_1590

 

Race to the Sun review game.

 

I like to have them pick a number between 1-20 to decide who goes first.  It’s easy peasy and has eliminated the griping.  I’m a big fan of less griping.

 

5-IMG_1591

 

Whoever wins the number pick gets the first review question.

 

Each correct answer means a hop to the next planet.

 

6-IMG_1593

 

I know his feet positioning looks like he’s ready to run the other way…but he really enjoyed this game a lot.  Even if the eleven in him won’t let him admit it!

 

1-IMG_1595

 

We also just hopped forwards and backwards down the solar system naming the planets in order.  In the direction we were going, of course. 

 

 

Another way we’ll play (an impromptu play date interrupted us though) is to use a squirt bottle to erase random planets and see if we can remember and name the missing one.

 

 

Just a little fun School Lite stuff we did today!

 

 

Other Solar-y System Stuff:

Space Rocks a Chapter by Chapter review

2 Super Fun Asteroids Games

My Solar System Pinboard

 

 

…danielle

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Wish my kids were small still sometimes so I could do things like this with them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...although I must say, it sure if fun to force the 11 year old to play with us!

      ...danielle

      Delete
  2. This is really neat. I think I may just have to do this with my daughter. I think I'll pin it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was Mars disqualified as a planet too?
    Cute idea though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering who would be the first to notice! :P

      ...danielle

      ps. Mar was added I just never had time to take another picture. We were too busy playing. And then the little one decided to "water" the solar system. :)

      Delete
  4. A great idea to get them moving while learning! I once read somewhere that you'll learn better that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing it! I featured your post and photo in my Montessori-Inspired Solar System Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/10/04/montessori-inspired-solar-system-unit/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful and simple idea! I love the idea of combining reviewing the planets with reviewing other things as well. We'll definitely be trying this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My three year old is totally interested in the Solar System. He has taught me a few things about the Universe, I must say. We have been practicing this activity use big egg shaped chalk for months now. As you can imagine, each time is different. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete